Dallas Shirley Children’s Counsellor
Here to Help Support Children & Families Online in British Columbia, Canada
My name is Dallas Shirley. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor who specializes in helping support children and families dealing with grief and loss. I also work with families as they navigate through other life challenges and triumphs.
I have learned grief and loss are not only about death. There is grief and loss in many parts of life. We may lose relationships. We may experience loss if we move or we have to change schools. We may mourn the loss of dreams that did not come true, or the life we once had that is forever changed. Grief is profound and a very real part of our lives. My goal is to provide a safe space to process thoughts and feelings about grief, loss, anger, shame, love, frustration, joy, or any feeling you can think of. We will work together to find healthy ways to express those feelings.
My goal is to help you and your family:
- Build your own toolbox of healthy Calm Down Coping Activities to help cope with current and future life struggles.
- Focus on changing unhelpful thoughts into more helpful thoughts.
- Work towards alleviating unhelpful feelings of anxiety.
- Build on your self-regulation and co-regulation skills.
- Work on using movement, breathing, and other stress relieving activities.
- Help support you and your family with processing feeling of grief and loss. Some examples of grief and loss that I can help support you with are: pet loss, death of a loved one, moving to a new home/place, changing schools, loss of friendships, loss of school/activities, a loss of dreams that did not come true or the loss of the life we once had that is now forever changed.
- Understand the underlying meaning behind challenging behaviours.
- Work on creative problem solving.
- Build on relational, friendship and social skills.
- Strengthen assertiveness in being able to speak up when helpful.
- Work on healthy emotional regulation.
- Build on self-confidence and confidence in your caregiver-child relationship.
- Strengthen your relationship and attachment with your child by engaging you in the process. This can also lead to faster resolutions due to the enhanced skills you will all have that can be incorporated into your daily lives together.
If you are interested in children’s counselling connect for a free 15-minute phone consultation. This phone call will give you the opportunity to learn more about online children’s counselling and if I will be a good fit to help provide support.